2.11.2010

Cookies on a Stick Valentines

Well, because I am on the cookie on a stick kick...I thought Id tell you how to do them.

First, I searched the internet for a good sturdy recipe, and this is the best I found.  They are SO yummy, but they taste a little more like a butter cookie, or shortbread than a sugar cookie...but I really love them.

Michelle Bommarito’s Sugar Cookies For Sticks
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks butter, unsalted, softened (8 oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg 1/2 t. kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of almond extract

Sift together the flour and baking powder. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the egg, salt and both extracts.
Slowly add flour mixture (1 cup at a time) and stir until incorporated
Form the dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface to approximately 5/8″ thick. Cut the cookies into shapes and place the cut cookie shape on a parchment lined cookie; Poke a stick into cookies.
Bake the cookies for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown in color. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

Royal Icing
1 pound confectioner’s sugar
5 T meringue powder or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
Ice cold water according to desired consistency and 1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir together, using as much water as needed for desired consistency

So, once my cookies while my cookies were baking...Miranda gave me the most brilliant idea.  Make my design on parchment paper first...so I wouldnt have to freehand the batman symbol.

So, I melted chocolate chips...and piped the chocolate onto the parchment.  You could use royal icing in colors if you wanted a different color.  I happened to need dark. I put mine in the fridge to harden.
 
Then, I first piped around each cookie, filled them in with yellow icing and stuck my symbol right in the middle.
 
Wa La...Robbie's batman Valentines.  Then of course I googled "batman valentine" and found this vintage picture.  He loved it! 
So, here are 2 dozen batmans on a stick! 

and with the left over dough I did some of my own valentines!  These were fun...but, I have no idea how to do polkadots.  They kept making stringy points.

Happy Valentines Day! 
 

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

susanna said...

Ooh these are pretty! What a perfect present for a sweetie this Valentine's Day.

Miranda said...

They look amazing. Good job with the batmans! Can I be on Elle's valentine list? I want one of those clips!!

Jer + Lu said...

What a great idea!
Love your inspirational blog!

christensen crew said...

ooh, love your ideas....my boys would go crazy for the batman cookies...to give or receive!