5.07.2010

May I suggest for your first quilt...

When I had baby Jane, my friend Kathy sent me this beautiful quilt.

 I loved it so much, and I thought it was the most thoughtful thing in the world that she would take the time to make me a quilt!  I wanted to make one...but have NEVER attempted to QUILT before..so I just left it hanging on Jane's wall...dreaming of becoming a quilter one day.
The other day I decided to stop dreaming and to start quilting.  So, I went to the fabric store...picked out 8 coordinating fabrics....and DID IT!  So...below are the 2 quilts I made:

I think for me, the hardest part was finding 8 coordinating fabrics.  It is easy if you buy online and can stick with one designer's collection, but our quilt shop only carries a couple from each. 
To make this quilt, You will need:
1 yard pretty fabric, 1 yard batting, 1 yard white muslin or white kona cotton, a quarter yard binding fabric (for the edge) and then 6 quarter yard pieces for the stripes.  (NOT fat quarters.  regular old quarter yards)

You pretty much just layer the cute fabric, batting, & muslin.  lay out the stripes.  Pin like crazy.  sew.  pin on the binding.  sew.  then wash to get frayed edges, and trim long strings. 
If you want an ACTUAL TUTORIAL...
PLEASE post a comment below and I will do one in the next week or 2.


A sweet baby gift.  and if you find cute an enough fabrics...maybe a cute YOU gift!

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Amber said...

Wow! Love this! I would love a tutorial and to know what fabric you used (especially the gorgeous back prints?!) Beautiful!

Mallory said...

I would love to see a tutorial my sister is pregnant and this looks like a quilt I could make!

Karin Marie said...

oooh I would love a tutorial! these are wicked cute & it looks super easy! But I like pictures! Good job! I so, wanna make quilts for my girls! :) Thanks a bunch! :)

P.s I love the fabric you picked!

cassie said...

i too would love a tutorial!!! love that quilt!

Jessica Petersen said...

I would love a tutorial for sure!

Genevieve said...

i would love a tutorial for the binding especially- love it!!

The Fergy Bunch said...

I would like a tutorial! I think I can make this for my first quilt.

ificould said...

I have never made a quilt before and would LOVE to try. I would love some more step by step instructions for these quilts.

Liz said...

I think a tutorial would be great, I have a bunch of friends who are pregnant right now, and this looks like a great gift for them.

darcymae said...

sooo cute! tutorial please!!

teedle. said...

it's a cute idea to let the edges fray a bit. I certainly adds flair!